Finland is committed in its foreign and development policy to promote Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). Therefore, it is important that Finnish civil servants all around the world, especially the ones working in developing countries, related to development issues, human rights and gender equality, ensure that they have basic knowledge on SRHR.
We have created this material to provide information on what SRHR is, why it is important for sustainable development and how it is interconnected with.
SRHR is a broad matter. This material focuses on certain focus points, but does not introduce an exhaustive list of all of the aspects of SRHR. Our goal is to give a short introduction to some of the most important topics, and we have listed under each topic some sources to find further information.
This material consists of four chapters:
What are Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights?
2 Different focus points
- Equality, Self-determination, Sexual Pleasure
- Family Planning
- Comprehensive Sexuality Education
- Sexual and Gender Based Violence
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI), HIV
- Non-discrimination, Vulnerable Groups
- Challenging Environments
- Men and Boys
- Sexual Pleasure
- Covid-19 and SRHR
- UHC and SRHR
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights are an essential part of Universal Health Coverage
3 Agreements and policies
4 Best practices, norms and standards